POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Having fun ... : Re: Having fun ... Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:18:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Having fun ...
From: Alain
Date: 15 Aug 2009 15:19:33
Message: <4a870a45$1@news.povray.org>

> "Mike Raiford" <"m[raiford]!at"@gmail.com> schreef in bericht
>> Sometimes, in photography, especially when taking macro shots, you don't
>> have much choice, either no picture or a razor thin DOF.
>>
>> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2125/2089456023_0c64233baf_o.jpg
>>
>> and other times, focal blur is used for artistic effect
>>
>> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2302/2090316034_fb62145001_o.jpg
>> --
>
> Let us not forget that focal blur comes from the physical restrictions of
> lenses in the real world. It is not something "artistic" in the first place.
> Macro photography cannot be done without focal blur obviously, and is the
> headache for every photographer to get exactly "right" around the subject.
> For artistic effects, I tend to disagree. There was a movement at one time
> promoting "artistic blur" as the summum of photographic art (fifties?
> sixties?) but which was more a way of hiding the lack of talent of second
> rate photographers. The photograph you refer to here is a stricking and
> typical example, imo, of the totally incorrect use of focal blur in
> photography: no purpose, no real interesting focus at all. In fact, the blur
> destroys the only thing worthwhile in the image: the eyes!!!
>
> Yes, I am a follower of the old documentary school that brought forth people
> like Cartier Bresson or Frank Capra. I don't pretend to reach up to their
> heels, but they (and others) are my masters.
>
> Thomas

Often, the so called "artistic blur" was done as a post process/black
room step. The projector used to do the print was set off focus.
Another aproach was to use a frosted filter. This simulated a fog like
effect with grosly exagerated luminous bloom.

A agree with you about the cat's photo. Not artistic at all but an
obviously bad focus.

Alain