POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Having fun ... : Re: Having fun ... Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:17:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Having fun ...
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 15 Aug 2009 05:06:14
Message: <4a867a86@news.povray.org>
"Mike Raiford" <"m[raiford]!at"@gmail.com> schreef in bericht
news:4a8596a1$1@news.povray.org...
> Sometimes, in photography, especially when taking macro shots, you don't
> have much choice, either no picture or a razor thin DOF.
>
> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2125/2089456023_0c64233baf_o.jpg
>
> and other times, focal blur is used for artistic effect
>
> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2302/2090316034_fb62145001_o.jpg
> --

Let us not forget that focal blur comes from the physical restrictions of
lenses in the real world. It is not something "artistic" in the first place.
Macro photography cannot be done without focal blur obviously, and is the
headache for every photographer to get exactly "right" around the subject.
For artistic effects, I tend to disagree. There was a movement at one time
promoting "artistic blur" as the summum of photographic art (fifties?
sixties?) but which was more a way of hiding the lack of talent of second
rate photographers. The photograph you refer to here is a stricking and
typical example, imo, of the totally incorrect use of focal blur in
photography: no purpose, no real interesting focus at all. In fact, the blur
destroys the only thing worthwhile in the image: the eyes!!!

Yes, I am a follower of the old documentary school that brought forth people
like Cartier Bresson or Frank Capra. I don't pretend to reach up to their
heels, but they (and others) are my masters.

Thomas