POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : More fun with sand : Re: More fun with sand Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:25:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More fun with sand
From: William Tracy
Date: 30 Jul 2009 22:20:34
Message: <4a7254f2$1@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote:
> I want to play a little bit with your include file to see if
> I can generate some more comments :-) I have a few ideas maybe....

Some notes that I forgot to share last night: The macro assumes that y
is up, and that the sand object has no visible vertical surfaces or
undercuts (think "height field").

The macro actually generates two overlapping copies of the geometry,
slightly displaced on the y axis. This creates a thin layer just beneath
the surface which is where the scattering media lives; the second object
creates an opaque back that prevents Povray from tracing any deeper into
the object.

This does help render time, but my original motivation for this system
was so that objects wouldn't create ghostly silhouettes where they
intersect the ground surface. Otherwise, it's possible to make this work
right by correctly combining scattering, absorbing, *and* emitting media
in the SSS object, but it's complicated to get the colors you want, it's
slow to render, and it does not want to play nice with radiosity.

--
William Tracy
afi### [at] gmailcom

Today's random quote is:
wtracy: that makes more sense than some of the things I was thinking
wtracy: that is certainly less disturbing than some of the things I was
thinking
     -- seen in #cplug