POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : POVRay / Luxrender : Re: POVRay / Luxrender Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:30:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRay / Luxrender
From: hobBIT
Date: 27 Jul 2009 16:27:47
Message: <4a6e0dc3$1@news.povray.org>
Reactor schrieb:
> hobBIT <bla### [at] gmxde> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> below a scene I started some days ago inspired by the portal doc of
>> luxrender (luxrender.net), a really nice GPL render engine. While
>> waiting for the result calculated by luxrender, I planned to port it to
>> POVRay and compare the result, see yourself.
>>
> ..
> ..
> ..
>> POVRay:
>>    - Areas with bad anti-alias, sometimes, even with really high AA
>> settings (see edges in the top right area).
>
> What were the anti-aliasing settings?  Also, are you aware of an odd (but
> documented) interaction between anti-aliasing and gamma correction?
> Specifically, gamma correction is applied after anti-aliasing, which means that
> your settings may have told it not to use aa further (based on the threshold
> value), but gamma correction placed it out of the threshold.

[1280x1024, AA 0.1, Smpl=2, Jitter+]
Width=1280
Height=1024
Quality=11
Antialias=On
Antialias_Threshold=0.1
Sampling_Method=2
Jitter=On

No I havn't heared that before. I've removed the assumed_gamma directive
and rerendered the area, but the artifacts are still there. Will try to
find detailed information about the things you've mentioned.

>>    - Areas which have no direct lighting do not show any normal effects
>> (All walls have bumps, but this can be seen behind the plant only).
>
> By default, normals are ignored in radiosity.  To take them into account, place
> "normal on" in your radiosity block.

Thanks, I will try this !

>> Please leave some comments :-)
>>
>> hobBIT
>

> It seems to me that luxrender was described a while back as allowing you to
> define the emission pattern of a light source.  I saw the IES example image on
> the wiki, but I am having trouble tracking down how a user might make their own
> IES files.  I would definitely be interested, though.  I am curious as to how it
> compares to mcpov

Using IES data in renders is a bit above my knowledge, but I often read
thing about this. I should invest more details in technical background
related things :-)

> -Reactor

hobBIT