POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Planet texture WIP#2 - atmosphere! : Re: Planet texture WIP#2 - atmosphere! Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:26:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Planet texture WIP#2 - atmosphere!
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 16 Jul 2009 03:59:11
Message: <4a5eddcf$1@news.povray.org>
"Tek" <tek### [at] evilsuperbraincom> schreef in bericht
> Ok here's an updated version: it now has an atmosphere, the mountains have
> a normal map, the ocean has a fairly realistic material, I've tweaked the
> relative scales a bit (though this planet is still far from realistically
> scaled), and the cities have a small amount of ambient to glow on the dark
> side of the planet.
>
> But by far the best thing is the atmosphere, it looks way better now IMO.
> Though inevitably it also takes many times longer to render (it's still
> quick).
>
> Oh, and I know: it needs clouds! I'll do them next.
>
> Any other suggestions/questions?

Well done indeed. Only thing which - as a professional - strikes me as
really odd, are the mountains. They look too much like random patches
dropped here and there. Mountains come in extensive ranges, winding over the
continents as a result of (ancient) plate collisions. That would be a nice
addition to your work.

Thomas