POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Stonehenge - Spring equinox, dawn (wip) : Re: Stonehenge - Spring equinox, dawn (wip) Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:14:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stonehenge - Spring equinox, dawn (wip)
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 16 Jul 2009 03:53:12
Message: <4a5edc68$1@news.povray.org>
"Chris B" <nom### [at] nomailcom> schreef in bericht
> In searching the Internet I came across an artists impression of what it
> might have looked like if the area had still been forested when the stones
> were built:
> http://www.gardenvisit.com/blog/2009/06/30/stonehenge-as-a-woodland-site/
>
> Pure conjecture of course, but it makes a pretty picture. Even if the
> woodlands were never quite that close to the stones it seems likely to me
> that there would have still been some nearby woodlands and that the
> landscape wouldn't have been anywhere near as devoid of plant life as it
> is today.

Interesting image, but wrong/anachronistic in several ways. Like you say,
the woods probably did not come up so close to the stones as suggested here,
not even after the site was "abandoned", a few hundred years only after
completion. Secondly, the forest shown looks too much like a modern
"managed" forest. The original woods were more dense and tangled with
underbrush imo. Before clearing of course. Still, a nice composition with a
nice mood.

Thomas