POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Stonehenge - Spring equinox, dawn (wip) : Re: Stonehenge - Spring equinox, dawn (wip) Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:29:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stonehenge - Spring equinox, dawn (wip)
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 15 Jul 2009 10:13:57
Message: <4a5de425$1@news.povray.org>
"TC" <do-not-reply@i-do get-enough-spam-already-2498.com> schreef in bericht
news:4a5dde83@news.povray.org...
> This may be a bit off-topic, but I cannot help but wonder how stonehenge
> really did look when it was still "in use". I really doubt that there were
> just the stones and nothing else - there should have been huts or
> primitive tents and other things... even priests need to live somewhere.
>
> How did the surrounding landscape look like? Nowadays it is green lawn
> amid fields of wheat (or whatever corn). But was this so when the place
> was built? Or where there woods? Do you have any idea? Does anybody?

Yes, dwelling quarters have been found, even quite extensive iirc.
http://www.shef.ac.uk/archaeology/research/stonehenge shows recent work done
on the site and new ideas about the possible use of the monument.

As far as I know, the landscape looked much different from today. More woods
certainly, but with open clearings for fields and meadows. However, the wood
extension is probably difficult to trace exactly. Some conclusions can be
drawn from pollen concentrations in ancient soils but that does not always
say much about the real extent, and much of the landscape has been
overhauled in later centuries of course.

Thomas