POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Stonehenge (wip) : Re: Stonehenge (wip) Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:27:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stonehenge (wip)
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 15 Jul 2009 10:04:09
Message: <4a5de1d9@news.povray.org>
"Chris B" <nom### [at] nomailcom> schreef in bericht

> "Doctor John" <joh### [at] homecom> wrote in message
>> From what I've read and (I think) understood, the latest research
>> suggests that Stonehenge was associated with death and possibly rebirth.
>> The open side is oriented with the setting sun on the winter solstice.
>> BTW I find it amusing that the modern "druids" might be celebrating
>> midsummer's day in the wrong place.
>>

> Also, I've just read that there's no record of Druids before 200BC, so the
> modern folk are perfoming rituals for which there's little historical
> evidence, probably in the wrong place, facing the wrong way, at the wrong
> time of year. Still, anyone can make a mistake.

Absolutely. As far as I know, Stonehenge was built long before druidism
became the leading religion in Celtic Europe. Do you know of the Riverside
Project in 2008? That gave some interesting clues about the use of
Stonehenge as a healing center.
http://www.shef.ac.uk/archaeology/research/stonehenge

Thomas