POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Stonehenge (wip) : Re: Stonehenge (wip) Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:28:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stonehenge (wip)
From: Doctor John
Date: 15 Jul 2009 06:02:33
Message: <4a5da939@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> schreef in bericht

Thomas de Groot wrote:
> Intriguing. This opens up a whole new perspective on the basic concept of
> stone circles.
>
> Thomas

From what I've read and (I think) understood, the latest research
suggests that Stonehenge was associated with death and possibly rebirth.
The open side is oriented with the setting sun on the winter solstice.
The avenue which is oriented north-east towards the rising sun on the
summer solstice connects with the Avon. You cross that and head for the
place of the living which is Woodhenge. I find this explanation more
convincing mainly because seeing stone as dead and unchanging and wood
as alive and growing leads one to naturally to building your 'temples'
to both death and life in their associated material.
BTW I find it amusing that the modern "druids" might be celebrating
midsummer's day in the wrong place.

John
--
"Eppur si muove" - Galileo Galilei