POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : the Johnson solids : Re: the Johnson solids Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:13:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: the Johnson solids
From: Warp
Date: 14 Jul 2009 18:16:58
Message: <4a5d03da@news.povray.org>
Bill Pragnell wrote:
> However, I'd have to use normal on in the radiosity block if I wanted
> the shape of the floor visible in the shadowed areas, and that might well knock
> the render time back again. I'll try it next time I make one of these images.

  It would still be radiosity-rays-against-isosurface vs.
radiosity-rays-against-plane, even with when the radiosity rays take
into account the normal perturbation.

  OTOH, if you don't have anything for a "sky", I don't think making the
radiosity take into account normal perturbation would make any
difference with a plane. There's nothing to reflect light onto the plane.

  One possible idea to speed up this kind of scene is to ditch the
radiosity completely. It often doesn't contribute significantly in this
type of scene, and if necessary can be substituted with secondary light
sources (which might in fact produce even better lighting; eg. see
http://warp.povusers.org/povtips/ )