POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Processing power is not always what sells, it seems : Re: Processing power is not always what sells, it seems Server Time
29 Sep 2024 15:28:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Processing power is not always what sells, it seems
From: scott
Date: 13 Jul 2009 06:09:02
Message: <4a5b07be@news.povray.org>
> Why does everybody think it's expensive to design and test software
> properly?

Umm, because if MS spent another 6 months designing certain parts of Windows
better and testing it more thoroughly, that would cost 6 months of salaries
(plus all the other costs to run those departments) and also 6 months of
lost sales.  In short, they have to decide when to release the product for
maximum profit, and it will always be before they've fixed all bugs.

> There's plenty of non-M$ software which works reliably enough to not cause
> a problem.

Sure, there's also apples that taste different to pears.

> (And let's face it, M$ isn't exactly short of cash...)

Did you ever stop to think that if they designed and tested more thoroughly
they might have *less* cash?  I'm sure MS has already stopped and though
about exactly this, and TBH I think they are in a much better position to
decide how much (re)design and testing to do than you are.