POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Processing power is not always what sells, it seems : Re: Processing power is not always what sells, it seems Server Time
29 Sep 2024 15:26:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Processing power is not always what sells, it seems
From: Darren New
Date: 11 Jul 2009 13:10:04
Message: <4a58c76c$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> OK. So remind me... who is it that wanted to be constantly nagged
>>> about the unused desktop icons?
>>
>> You get offered once, and you click the box that says "stop asking."

>> It's only nagging if you can't read.
>
> So why does it ask me once a month?

I can only assume it's because you didn't turn it off. I got asked exactl
y once.

> Windows is fundamentally based on the concept that only one person is
> using the PC.

Not really.  Maybe 15 years ago that was true, but not now.

>> People think getting some small number infected with malware is
>> preferable to spending 30x as much for the software.
>
> And I think that if I have to pay hundreds and hundreds of pounds for a

> mere operating system, it should at least work properly. But apparently

> that's just me...

I dunno. Why are you getting virus infections? I've run for decades with
no
virus protection and I don't have problems. Actually, I've seen exactly o
ne
  or maybe two machines with a virus on it in my career.  Heck, I've seen

more viruses on 8-bit machines than I've seen on Windows.

> When Linux goes wrong, it's annoying. But given that I spent £0 on
 it,

No, you didn't pay $0 for it. You simply didn't pay *cash* for it. Most o
the companies I worked for payed hundreds of thousands of dollars a year
the people keeping the Linux systems running.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."