POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Planet texture WIP : Re: Planet texture WIP Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:21:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Planet texture WIP
From: Tek
Date: 10 Jul 2009 17:08:51
Message: <4a57ade3@news.povray.org>
Thanks for the comments! I've rendered a few variations with some slightly
improved materials & lighting.

"somebody" <x### [at] ycom> wrote in message news:4a553a85$1@news.povray.org...
> Not bad, but a little too fractal, telltale CG.

Yeah good point, I might try layering in some low-frequency pattern to give
a bit of a tectonic plate feel to things.

> you also should take into account the gradual change of vegetation
> towards the poles - an island of lush green enclosed by polar sea ice
> is highly unbelievable, one would instead expect pale greenish-gray
> tundra there (spotted with small lakes from recent glaciation)!

Good suggestion, I've already got the green transitioning to a desert near
the equator so doing something similar near the poles would make sense.
Though the problem with a lot of photos of earth from space is they've been
colour corrected, and the main thing I'm trying for is to create something
that looks realistic when it has an atmosphere on it.

> And I also miss mountain ranges on your planet, i. e. streaks of rocky
> gray terrain...

There are some, but that first image didn't have any normal maps so they're
not obvious. They're also not terribly obvious in this new picture but trust
me they're there!

> perhaps we might join forces in  certain aspects of our works?

Well I'll be releasing full source when I submit my IRTC image next month,
but I'm really only developing this for use in the background so I'm not
taking it super seriously :)

--
Tek
http://evilsuperbrain.com

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'planet_surface_lit.jpg' (497 KB)

Preview of image 'planet_surface_lit.jpg'
planet_surface_lit.jpg