POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Processing power is not always what sells, it seems : Re: Processing power is not always what sells, it seems Server Time
29 Sep 2024 13:28:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Processing power is not always what sells, it seems
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 10 Jul 2009 16:47:32
Message: <4a57a8e4@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> So, they can do limited function, single task stuff well.. like DOS. lol
>
> No, they can do something well if the requirements are strict enough.
>
> MS makes their software good enough for the people who have to use it.
> That's one of the reasons the perception of Visual Studio is so much
> better than the perception of Windows in general... developers have
> higher standards than the average user, so MS makes a better product for
> them.

Well, true enough. Though, a note one VS.. One feature it has that no
other editor suite for Windows really supports (or as extensively), is
"design time", as in edit objects, in place. There is a reason for this.
The code needed to "react to" design mode flags in a window or other
object is well documented. The means by which to "turn on" design mode
for a window... I spent 2 years looking for code, everyplace from their
sites, to the official API manuals you can buy, to just about every
other place you can think of. Its not documented in any discoverable sense.

Having a product that does something that no one else's does, because
you intentionally prevent anyone else from doing it the same way, isn't
a selling point, as far as I am concerned. That said, VS, on my install,
had more than a few annoyances, not the least being that all its
frakking documentation assumed that you where going to code stuff in
either C++/C# or in VB, and that if you where using VB, you didn't need
either headers for the API flags, at all, never mind documentation on
them. And, it was hardly bugless...

But, yeah. Things that perform one, clear, and specific task, they do
well with, sort of, except for the things they leave out, due to you not
needing them, from their view, or don't work as expected, or don't work
at all. How many versions of the XBox 360 cooling thing they go through
before figuring out to a) leave the fans on until it cooled off, and b)
it got hot enough to melt the solder points on the GPU? 3-4 I think..
But, otherwise, great machine. lol Just hope a car with the their tech
in it doesn't have a similar issue. ;)

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {