POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Pov-Ray Windows plotting code : Re: Pov-Ray Windows plotting code Server Time
2 May 2024 09:06:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pov-Ray Windows plotting code
From: Darren New
Date: 10 Jul 2009 11:34:51
Message: <4a575f9b$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> Likewise, metaprogramming can be used to implement OOP paradigms in a language
> that does not support them natively. Actually, that's how C++ started: The first
> C++ compilers generated C code.

I don't think my use of the term metaprogramming matches your use of the
term metaprogramming. Simply writing in a language the computer doesn't
natively understand isn't metaprogramming in the sense I meant it.

> But yes, metaprogramming does raise OO to the best of its potential: Reflection
> rules! :)

That's closer. When the structures of the program code itself are
manipulable from inside the program, that's metaprogramming. When a language
(like C) makes it harder to metaprogram than to just brute-force the code
you want to implement, you're lacking something.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."