POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Processing power is not always what sells, it seems : Re: Processing power is not always what sells, it seems Server Time
29 Sep 2024 03:12:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Processing power is not always what sells, it seems
From: Invisible
Date: 9 Jul 2009 08:50:25
Message: <4a55e791$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Somehow it seems that Nintendo has understood some basic truth about
> computing: It's not processing power that sells.

Depends who you're selling to.

A basic thruth might be that it's what you can do with the device that
sells - and for "typical" uses, more processing power usually means you
can do more stuff. But not always...

> Consider this:
>
>   Xbox 360: Triple-core CPU at 3.2 GHz, 512 MB of RAM.
>   Units sold: 30 million.
>
>   PS3: A 3.2 GHz Cell microprocessor, which consists of one PowerPC-based
> core and six SPE cores, 256 MB of RAM.
>   Units sold: 22 million.
>
>   Nintendo Wii: A single-core CPU at 729 MHz, 88 MB of RAM.
>   Units sold: 50 million.
>

>   PlayStation Portable: 333 MHz CPU, 32 MB of RAM (plus 2 MB of GPU RAM).
>   Units sold: 50 million.
>
>   Nintendo DS: A 67 MHz main CPU and a 33 MHz coprocessor, 4 MB of RAM.
>   Units sold: 100 million.

I would suggest cost might be a factor too. ;-)

A Fiat Punto is a rubbish car, but they sell way more of those than
(say) the Ferrari Enzo. [The Enzo might also be rubbish, I don't know...]