POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : Different method of voting??? : Re: Different method of voting??? Server Time
6 May 2024 23:39:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Different method of voting???
From: Jim Charter
Date: 6 Jul 2009 11:43:46
Message: <4a521bb2$1@news.povray.org>
David Buck wrote:
> Nimish wrote:
>
>> "Hildur K." <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>>
>>> In the past the voting, as most people here are aware of, was based
>>> on three
>>> different scores, Artistic, Technical and Interpretation of the
>>> Topic. The
>>> score was given on a scale from 1-20.
>>

>> I too would like to agree with the aforementioned.  Speaking from the
>> amateur's
>> point of view, the individualized scoring helped a great deal more on
>> my first
>> submissions than did the (at times nonexistent) comments.  In addition,
>> personally I am finding it rather difficult to vote on a pure basis
>> from one to
>> ten, and find myself giving a score in the three categories and
>> averaging them.
>>

> I recall a long debate about this topic where many people said that they
> seldom gave different scores in the three categories and the range 1-20
> was too large.  I've forgotten where this debate took place and can't
> locate it right now.  As I recall, though, we seemed to agree on a 10
> point range and checks for technical, artistic and conceptual.
>
> In any event, I'm happy to change it if we can get a reasonable consensus.
>
> David Buck

Just tried out the voting system.  Personally I like it VERY much.  Much
simpler and with a greater emphasis on comments. There will no doubt be
resistence because of the rougher granularity, ten stars instead of
twenty.  I think this is because people want to make fine
discriminations within a center range so they don't feel they are being
too nasty or committing. Really they are still just using about five or
ten grades but because it is cradled in a larger range they don't feel
so bad. It is a mental discipline that you are really making a ranking
and someone comes last.  So you might as well give that someone a single
star.  But this may be too great an illusion for people to overcome.

One thing.  I seem to recall that with the old system, someone had
written a program that, if you downloaded the thumbs and images, it
helped you organize your voting  giving you different sorts to show how
you ranked the images against each other.  I found that program VERY
helpful.  Being able to get a page that displayed the images in order of
how you have ranked them would be a very helpful feature if ever
possible down the road.

-Jim