POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : Voting - minor bug? : Re: Voting - minor bug? Server Time
3 May 2024 03:02:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Voting - minor bug?
From: David Buck
Date: 5 Jul 2009 17:51:42
Message: <4a51206e$1@news.povray.org>
Hildur K. wrote:
> Doctor John <joh### [at] homecom> wrote:
>
>> Was it a product of the server crash or is it a more general bug visible
>> to others?
>>

> voted at all??? Did the crash vipe out the votes?

I've looked into this issue.  It turns out there's a race condition that
occurs in the voting when many people start voting at once.  This caused
a corruption in the data that prevented it from being saved properly and
likely led to the crash the other day.

I've fixed the corruption.  I'm working at fixing the race condition
itself.  It will take a few hours and I'll have to bring the site down
to install the fix.

I apologize for the problems.  This is the kind of problem that can only
be detected when many people are working on the system at the same time
and, as such, didn't get caught during testing.

David Buck