POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : More polyhedra : Re: More polyhedra Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:20:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More polyhedra
From: Alain
Date: 27 Jun 2009 11:38:36
Message: <4a463cfc$1@news.povray.org>

> "Bill Pragnell" <bil### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>> Bit quiet on p.b.i. at the moment, so here's some shiny things.
>>

> Very, very beautiful! Especially the lighting and the colored shadows. I tried
> something similar with a simple glass sphere and photons a few weeks ago, but
> the shadow was much too dark. Maybe the "count" was too low. I'm not so
> experienced with glass like objects, because I have frustrating results most of
> the time and therefore don't really dare to raytrace them often ...
> But now with this proof, that they can look really good, I will try again
> sometime in the future.
>
>> These are the Platonic, Archimedean and Catalan solids. How many can you name
>> without resorting to wikipedia or wolfram? :-)
>
> .... dodecahedron, icosahedron ... uhm ...

When tracing a sphere with photons, it's normal to get a (very) dark
shadow with a bright spot in the center. If the sphere is to far away
from the surface receiving the shadow, the photons will have converged
to the focal point and spread again, possibly to an area much larger
than the sphere.

Glass objects, as well as metallic ones, need some environment to look
good. You also need something to get some light in the shadowed areas.
It can be a shadowless light source set to NOT cast photons, or it can
be radiosity.

Photons block for a fill light:
photons{refraction off reflection off}

Alain