POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Animation with billboards : Re: Animation with billboards Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:20:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Animation with billboards
From: Ray Gardener
Date: 22 Jun 2009 22:44:04
Message: <4a404174$1@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle wrote:
> Ray Gardener wrote:
>> Hi all, thought I'd share the output of Leveller's recent changes to
>> its POV-Ray export -- textured billboards that auto-rotate to face the
>> camera during stills and animations, plus path-based camera motion.
>
> One thing you could try is to render a scene with just the 3d model of
> the tree from the same general direction as the camera will view the
> actual tree in the final scene; then use this image as the visible
> billboard representation of each tree in the scene.  That will tend to
> mitigate the "Doom corpse" effect, IYKWIM.  For each frame, render the
> tree from that frame's view direction.
>
> The model will be the only thing in the scene and should render quickly.
>
> Also, the shady side of the tree will be darker than the sunny side of
> the tree.

Yeah, I'd like to try that. My tree models aren't too complex, should
only add a few seconds per frame. I can also skip imagemap creation
every N-1 out of N frames given some angular tolerance, say, wait until
the camera angle has gone above five degrees from the last time we
rendered imagemaps.

Ray