POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : Minimum Entry Requirements : Re: Minimum Entry Requirements Server Time
17 May 2024 06:00:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Minimum Entry Requirements
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 19 Jun 2009 18:50:04
Message: <4a3c161c$1@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle wrote:

> What if the image maps are generated by the ray tracer?

well, the "no multipass" rule was basically indended to prevent
2d-ish after-effects. Any such effect could be implemented by loading
the image from the first pass, evaluating its pixels one-by-one,
performing any image processing on the pixel array,  recreating
a pigment and applying it to a plane.

 > What if the external data files are likewise generated?

No objections and can be done at the beginning of a single
pass render without problems (at least in POV-Ray). Also, as
long as the scene is capable of render in a single pass, I
don't think there would be objections to also include a
flag to reuse the data file for efficiency when
tweaking renders, as with photon map data.

 > What if the post-processing is done by the renderer?

Not sure what kind of post-processing is supported by raytracers
out there. But I suppose most likely candidates interested in the
"purist" category would be POV-Ray users anyway ;) And MegaPOV's
post-processing features were the reason I suggested "purist"
images should use an *official* release.