POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : Minimum Entry Requirements : Re: Minimum Entry Requirements Server Time
2 May 2024 20:36:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Minimum Entry Requirements
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 16 Jun 2009 03:11:49
Message: <4a3745b5@news.povray.org>
"ChrisH" <lho### [at] comcastnet> schreef in bericht
> As an interested bystander reading the ongoing messages in this and other
> threads, I would like some clarification -
>
> If the IRTC goes to a "pure" POVRAY rendering only format, then could I
> still be
> able to use any modeler that saves my geometry into a POVRAY compatible
> mesh
> file, i.e.  I could use any modeler that saves a POVRAY mesh directly
> (such as
> Rhino) or any modeler that saves an obj formatted file that I can export
> Poseray to convert to a POVRAY compatible mesh. Also, I could use
> Photoshop to
> create image maps to use in POVRAY as well as UVMapper in combination with
> Photoshop and Poseray to create image maps to use in POVRAY. I could even
> use a
> modeler to layout my scene and lights, then create a POVRAY compatible
> macro to
> move my layout into POVRAY. I would then use the unique modeling, lighting
> and
> texturing capability of POVRAY to flesh out my scene. Is this a correct
> assumption ?

I my view, that is a perfectly valid option. In the old IRTC, Moray (a
modeller) was used very often. Nowadays, with modellers producing highly
detailed meshes and Poseray converting them to POV-Ray mesh2 files, I see no
objection at all to use that in an IRTC entry. If, however, the consensus
here that that is not allowed, then I see no future (for me) in the IRTC
anymore... :-)

Thomas