POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Kepler-Poinsot polyhedra : Re: Kepler-Poinsot polyhedra Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:16:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kepler-Poinsot polyhedra
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 14 Jun 2009 12:35:25
Message: <4a3526cd$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 09:13:38 -0400, Bill Pragnell wrote:

>> The stellated edge-only forms remind me of a toy I got as a child from
>> the Science Museum of Minnesota - I wonder if I still have it, in fact.
>> It was a kit for building shapes like this, with vaguely star-shaped
>> (6- pointed IIRC) rubber caps that you could insert clear plastic rods
>> into in order to make various shapes.
>>
>> Might be time to rummage around in the basement to see if it's in a box
>> somewhere.
>
> I used to have some of these when I was young:
>
> http://www.polydron.co.uk/
>
> And the geomag-type toys are pretty good for polyhedra too:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomag
>
> And my dad had a large collection of the platonic/archimedean solids
> that he'd built from breakfast cereal boxes.
>
> I think in many ways my interest in geometry and raytracing was
> inevitable... :)

Cool toys - I got to thinking about this more, and the kit that I had
didn't include instructions for stellated forms (all the plastic segments
were the same length, so designs where the segments pass through the
object wouldn't work at all).  The result was similar to the Geomag
results but there were no magnets.

Jim