POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : The Rules : Re: The Rules Server Time
15 May 2024 22:15:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Rules
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 12 Jun 2009 14:41:15
Message: <4a32a14b$1@news.povray.org>

> I think there is a lot to discuss and consider related to modern

> interested in joining our group if we restrict images to only what can be
> rendered simultaneously. More than anyone else POV-Ray-ers could benefit
> by a more open methodology allowing them to make essentially real-time
> adjustments to their scenes much of which is built into high-end

> any animation or image that is 3D regardless of how it was assembled so
> the conversation can be about that methodology and new techniques that
> have yet to be invented.

   I think the original spirit of the competition always allowed that kind of
  layer-rendering, even if the original authors of the rules never thought on
this possibility. It was just some of the judges and entrants who thought
this was forbidden, but for me it is clear that anything affecting equally
all pixels was legal. Fortunately, I've a copy of the Rules and FAQ, and
specially the FAQ seems very clear to me:

> [1.1.11] Exactly what do you mean by "post-processing"? That means
> running any image-manipulation program on the image after it is rendered.
> Paint programs, photo manipulation programs, and the like are generally
> not allowed, except for a few explicit exceptions. We want the image to
> be the output of a renderer, not a human or special-effects program. One
> guideline that has been mentioned is that any process which affects every
> pixel in the image is usually okay, but that's not a hard and fast
> rule--it's just used to encompass gamma correction, resizing, conversion
> to JPEG format, and so forth, all of which are legal. Another guideline
> is, don't do anything to the image that you wouldn't be prepared to do
> for every frame of a 30-minute animation.

   In any case, to make it really clear that it is allowed, the new FAQ could
use an entry very similar to this old one, just replacing "parts" by "layers":

> [1.1.15] How about rendering my image in two / three / twenty-six parts
> and then combining them? Is that post-processing? It is post-processing,
> but it doesn't affect the actual pixels of the images, so it is perfectly
> legal.

   Regards,

--
Jaime