POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Rope Macro : Re: Rope Macro Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:18:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rope Macro
From: Chris B
Date: 4 Jun 2009 07:46:16
Message: <4a27b408@news.povray.org>
"Bill Pragnell" <bil### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message

>> > ... can you handle e.g. coiling automatically?
>
>> What d'you have in mind by coiling 'automatically'?
>
> I meant 'loose' coiling, where the rope can pile up on itself, or a
> hanging
> loose coil (hooked over something, for example). I realise these are
> non-trivial, I expect people can model this manually given your tools -
> just
> wondered, that was all! :-)

Here's an example of what the randomisation options can do with a bit of
fiddling around. Some of the random shapes looked unrealistic, so it was a
question of repeatedly adjusting the seed until I got reasonable looking
shapes. This doesn't use any form of collision detection, so eagle-eyed
observers will notice that some bits of rope pass through other bits of rope
and even into adjacent objects in places.

The foreground object uses a very high randomisation setting at about 30
times the default. The other two are copies of the same coil at about 15
times the default randomisation (the one on the post is rotated and scaled
down a little).

To really overlay the coils of rope so that you don't get collisions would
be more complex. I've had a few ideas, but I'm not sure how difficult any of
them would turn out to be to implement. Most of my ideas to date would risk
ending up with some very limp-looking rope.

Regards,
Chris B.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: