POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : DF3 Interpolation Problem : Re: DF3 Interpolation Problem Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:22:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: DF3 Interpolation Problem
From: Alain
Date: 2 Jun 2009 21:13:14
Message: <4a25ce2a$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Holsenback nous illumina en ce 2009-05-31 08:34 -->
> "Alain" <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote in message
>> The documentations are WRONG about the default values used. They are:
>> method 3
>> intervals 1
>> samples 3
>
> Are you referring to section 3.6.2.2 (Sampling Parameters & Methods) in the
> distribution documentation? If not a pointer please! This is one of the
> things I'd like to start capturing and getting it into 3.7 doc repository on
> the POV-Wiki!
>
> Jim

Yes.
The documentation does say that method 3 is the default... in the text.
The stated defaults are still those of older versions when method 1 was the only
sampling available.

Also, you need to read trough the text to find that the second samples parameter
is not used with method 3, but the stated default values shown tend to imply
that it is used.

In the tutorial, 2.3.6.6  A more advanced example of scattering media
The first tome that samples apears, it is: samples 30,100.
It should be: samples 30

In: 3.6.2  Media
We have this:
Media default values:

aa_level     : 4
aa_threshold : 0.1
absorption   : <0,0,0>
confidence   : 0.9
emission     : <0,0,0>
intervals    : 10
method       : 3
ratio        : 0.9
samples      : Min 1, Max 1
variance     : 1/128
SCATTERING
   COLOR        : <0,0,0>
   eccentricity : 0.0
   extinction   : 1.0

While the actual defaults are:
intervals 	: 1
samples		: 3 (NO min nor max, only a single value)
The other defaults seems to be correct and are concistent with the body of the text.

In section: 3.6.2.2  Sampling Parameters & Methods
It could be good to reorder the various methods to make method 3 the first one
covered and mention that method 1 is a "legacy" method.