POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : DF3 Interpolation Problem : Re: DF3 Interpolation Problem Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:23:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: DF3 Interpolation Problem
From: Alain
Date: 2 Jun 2009 20:51:03
Message: <4a25c8f7$1@news.povray.org>
JeffBTX nous illumina en ce 2009-05-31 04:40 -->
> First; I made an error, in the code to display the DF3, replace:
> //      emission 1*3
> //      absorption 1*5
> //      scattering {1, White*3 extinction 1}
> with:
> //      emission White*3
> //      absorption White*5
> //      scattering {1, White*3 extinction 1}
>
> Okay...
>
> StephenS;
> I am using the web interface to access the POV Ray newsgroup. In Vista, I am
> using "Windows Mail" (versus Outlook Express)... I've never tried to look at
> newsgroups with that before... I just tried... "Windows Mail" just downloads a
> list of microsoft.public.(xxx)(.xxx)(etc.) groups, no POVRay. Searched for
> help, in Vista Outlook Express no longer exists. I don't know what to do if I
> want to post .ZIPs for some reason... I am going to have to research adding
> different news servers to Vista Windows Mail (IF I can do that...). Any Vista
> users know a solution? Help? Inexperienced here, with this issue.
>
> Tim;
> What you say makes perfect sense to me; that is, I understand it. But Alain says
> that doesn't really help... I posted the code from your post into a new POV
> file, tweaked the camera, etc., and rendered it. Using interpolate 2, the
> problem still exists.
>
> Alain;
> Thanks for the information. POVRay 3.6.1c is the problem, then... I hate to
> download an ongoing work-in-progress beta though. I guess I just have to wait
> for an official 3.7 release... in the meantime, any work I do with DF3's will
> be suspect.
>
> Oh, well.
>
> - Thanks, all.

One thing you can do:
Try to avoid sharp drops to zero and very sharps drops to 1. Just add a border
of 2's around 1's and 0's if you expect to use interpolate 2.

There is no problem with interpolate 1.
As there is no interpolation done with interpolate 0, you are also safe.