POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Question for you math wizards : Re: Question for you math wizards Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:17:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question for you math wizards
From: "Jérôme M. Berger"
Date: 29 May 2009 13:19:24
Message: <4a20191c$1@news.povray.org>
Dave Blandston wrote:
> Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
>> If you can't come close enough with a scaled torus, then, you'll proba
bly need a sphere sweep.

> A sphere sweep combined with a prism may be a possible solution, becaus
e that
> would also work for the inside of the curves, but I think that would be

> extremely difficult to get just right. Plus I'd have to figure out how
> remove the square notch that the sphere sweep would fit into. This migh
t turn
> out to be a really difficult problem to solve with CSG...

	The square notch is actually very easy to do once you have the
prism for the main shape and the sphere sweep: make the prism
shorter by the radius of the sweep and add another prism using the
same spline as the sweep (i.e think "union" instead of "difference").

		Jerome
--
mailto:jeb### [at] freefr
http://jeberger.free.fr