POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Question for you math wizards : Re: Question for you math wizards Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:15:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question for you math wizards
From: Warp
Date: 28 May 2009 13:38:40
Message: <4a1ecc20@news.povray.org>
Dave Blandston wrote:
> Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
>> If you can't come close enough with a scaled torus, then, you'll probably need a
sphere sweep.

> A sphere sweep combined with a prism may be a possible solution, because that
> would also work for the inside of the curves, but I think that would be
> extremely difficult to get just right. Plus I'd have to figure out how to
> remove the square notch that the sphere sweep would fit into. This might turn
> out to be a really difficult problem to solve with CSG...

  If the curve is very elliptical (although in this case it didn't look
like it), the perfect elliptical torus can be achieved with the poly
primitive (or, alternatively, an isosurface, which basically does the
same thing). You'll need a bit advanced high-school math to come up with
the formula, though.

  An unevenly-scaled regular torus suffices for most cases just fine,
though.