POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Rope Macro : Re: Rope Macro Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:19:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rope Macro
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 28 May 2009 10:14:11
Message: <4a1e9c33$1@news.povray.org>
"Chris B" <nom### [at] nomailcom> schreef in bericht
>> And presumably you're using either catenaries or a
>> full mechanics simulation to produce hanging curves...?
>
> Ahh! Nothing nearly so sophisticated there I'm afraid :-). I have a loose
> segment macro that takes the current point and a new point and adds an
> extra
> point in between roughly in the right place to bring the rope length to
> approximately the value specified as a parameter and to get the lowest
> point
> roughly where it should be for the relative heights of the two end points.
> Then it relies upon using a curved spline for that segment of rope to join
> the dots in a fairly gravity compliant way. There's nothing stopping
> anyone
> with a better grip on the maths adding such a macro though. Each of the
> path-defining macros is quite short, so it doesn't take long to add new
> shape macros.

Yum yum... for the ropes and knots....  :-)
For catenaries, there is a set of macros by PM2Ring (2005) which do a better
job than the catenaries by Chris Colefax. There is also a set of macros by
Rob Antonishen (2002) but they do not work quite well I am afraid (last
timeI tried them, earlier this year). Both sets were made available in these
forums at the time.

Thomas