POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Question for you math wizards : Re: Question for you math wizards Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:16:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question for you math wizards
From: Warp
Date: 27 May 2009 07:24:12
Message: <4a1d22dc@news.povray.org>
Dave Blandston wrote:
> Recently I started working on reproducing the Dokken logo with POV-Ray. It's a
> little difficult because the corners are rounded and the top is beveled
> (rounded over). So far I've figured out how to round off and bevel all the
> straight edges but I'm having trouble beveling the curved parts of the "D,"
> "k," and "n." Does anyone have any suggestions regarding what type of objects
> to use and how to make those beveled curves? So far everything is CSG, which is
> what I'd like to use.

  A straight edge can be rounded by using two boxes and a cylinder.
Likewise a curved edge can be rounded by using two cylinders and a
torus, using the same principle.

  (Of course if the curve is not close to circular, then it becomes
slightly more difficult. You would need an elliptical torus which is not
impossible, but laborious. Note that an unevenly scaled torus is not a
real elliptical torus, as the minor radius does not remain constant.)