POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Copying isn't theft : Re: Copying isn't theft Server Time
29 Sep 2024 19:23:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Copying isn't theft
From: somebody
Date: 15 May 2009 15:34:22
Message: <4a0dc3be@news.povray.org>
news:4a0db0fb@news.povray.org...
> somebody wrote:
> > "Darren New" <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote in message
> >
> >> Once again, tell me what I took of yours that you no longer have when I
> >> violate your copyright.
> >
> > For the nth time, you took away whatever was granted to me in that
copyright
> > (i.e. my say about the conditions of copying of my work).

> So you no longer have your say about the conditions of copying my work? If
> took that away, and you no longer have it, then what gives you the ability
> to come after me for copyright infringement?

OK, since couple people here have the same difficulty, let me type it slower
this time so it can be understood:

You own a car.

I take it away without your permission.

Is it theft?

Let's follow your reasoning above:

You say no. Because, you claim, the fact that you can come after me (or that
the police will return the car to you if I am apprehended) means you still
own the car. And since you still own the car, it's not been stolen, there's
no theft.

Do you seriously not see the fallacy?

Yes I cannot remove your legal right to owning the car by illegal means
(i.e. via stealing) [*]. You are still the rightful owner (sans
liabilities). However, you no longer have the ability to exercise your right
of ownership, you cannot enjoy the benefit of ownership.

It's exactly the same situation with copyright. I did not wish for you to
have copies of my work, and I had the right to not have you copies of my
work. You have illegally taken away my ability to exercise those benefits
and rights. What is being taken away is not the piece of paper (car title or
copyright statement), but whatever rights are granted to the rightful owner
*on* that piece of paper.

> >> As long as you keep changing the question in order
> >> to avoid answering it,

> > I've answered it several times, but you neither acknowledge nor counter
it.

> And I'm trying to explain why your answer is wrong.

You'll have to try harder.

[*] I could of course forge the documents, serial number... etc, just as one
can forge IP papers. But that's a different topic.