POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Copying isn't theft : Re: Copying isn't theft Server Time
29 Sep 2024 21:23:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Copying isn't theft
From: somebody
Date: 15 May 2009 13:44:49
Message: <4a0daa11$1@news.povray.org>
news:4a0d964a$1@news.povray.org...
> Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> > somebody wrote:
> >> "Darren New" <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote in message

> >> Copyright.

> >> You are taking away his right to control (of how / by who / under what
> >> conditions... etc) his work can be copied. That is, you are taking away
> >> *whatever priviledges* were granted to him *in* the copyright.
> >
> > So if I copy a CD, I take away his right to control how his work can be
> > copied, and then everyone can start copying, because he doesn't have the
> > right to control it anymore? What the hell?
>
> And of course, since you've taken that right to control away, he can't
come
> after you legally for making copies, because he doesn't control it any
more.
> Yes?

Still going after a red herring I see. It's not the right that's stolen,
it's what that right grants the holder.

Same with "material" things. If I steal a car, I'm not stealing the
ownership. For if I could steal ownership by simply stealing a car, I could
go register the car and drive it legally. It doesn't work that way, nobody
claims copyright works that way either.