POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Copying isn't theft : Copying isn't theft Server Time
29 Sep 2024 11:25:33 EDT (-0400)
  Copying isn't theft
From: Chambers
Date: 11 May 2009 21:57:39
Message: <4a08d793$1@news.povray.org>
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=define%3A+theft&btnG=Search
"larceny: the act of taking something from someone unlawfully"

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/theft
"the act of stealing; the wrongful taking and carrying away of the
personal goods or property of another; larceny."

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/theft
"a: the act of stealing  ; specifically : the felonious taking and
removing of personal property with intent to deprive the rightful owner
of it b: an unlawful taking (as by embezzlement or burglary) of property"

It seems to me that theft occurs when you take something from someone
else; the owner is deprived of their property, which the thief then
enjoys possession of.

Unlawful copying doesn't seem to be theft by any of the above
definitions.  The owner retains all rights, privileges and perks of the
property.

Of course, the legality of it is a completely different matter.  But
this is just another example of how our legal system concerning
copyrights needs to be updated to reflect reality, because calling these
actions theft is just erroneous.

--
...Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com