POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Amalthea, now with brightness 1 and assumed_gamma 1.5 : Re: Amalthea, now with brightness 1 and assumed_gamma 1.5 Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:24:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Amalthea, now with brightness 1 and assumed_gamma 1.5
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Date: 9 May 2009 19:56:38
Message: <4a061836@news.povray.org>
High!

clipka wrote:

> For instance, the notion that "1+a*800" should be the correct vertex index
> baseline for loop #a may seem intuitive - but as a matter of fact it's wrong.
> For instance, loop #1 - the very first loop - is comprised of vertices
> #1..#800, matching a loop baseline formula of 1+(a-1)*800.

I once again checked it via pocket calculator - and yes, you're right!
All faces are properly defined - only the north polar belt (i. e. belt
#398, with baseline vertices going like <317601, 317602, 318401>,
<317602, 317603, 318401> and so on) is not rendered at all! And it
probably is a matter of the very last vertex, #318401...

(10 minutes later)

No, it isn't... I found out that when I change the divisor in the vertex
definition section from 400 to 398, the north polar gap disappears! So
the result might not be entirely "geographically" accurate, but
esthetically satisfying...

But I still doubt whether sticking to this kind of work methods will
ever make me a commercially successful programmer... I'm more like a
shaggy drop-out log cabin tinkerer than a sophisticated computer scientist!

By the way, when using radiosity the strangely "glowing" portions near
Amalthea's north pole continue to exist - so it probably is a matter of
radiosity rather than mesh geometry!

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar