POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Still random : Re: Still random Server Time
29 Sep 2024 19:21:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Still random
From: Darren New
Date: 8 May 2009 12:30:23
Message: <4a045e1f$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> I think the key point is that most
> things have a force that acts in the opposite direction of the movement,

I've always found this to be quite fascinating. Why should that be?

Why is back EMF always in the direction that reduces the EMF? Why does
friction work in a direction that reduces the effects of friction?

Almost everything one can think of works this way. I only remember
encountering two or three effects in the last few decades (other than
economics and some odd quantum stuff, IIRC) that don't damp themselves.
Unless you get something like thermal runaway, where you have two separate
effects reinforcing each other that would individually damp each other out.

Funkily enough, if you look at wikipedia under "Negative_mass", there's some
stuff in there about what happens if mass is negative, with fun observations
like "negative masses would produce an attractive force on one another, but
would be repelled because of their negative inertial masses". I.e., the two
minus signs on the mass cancel out, so two negative masses are attracted to
each other, *but* they'll move apart, because negative mass moves towards
the direction you push it from. :-)

</ramble>

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)