POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Amalthea, lit by Jupitershine : Re: Amalthea, lit by Jupitershine Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:20:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Amalthea, lit by Jupitershine
From: Rarius
Date: 7 May 2009 08:13:12
Message: <4a02d058$1@news.povray.org>

news:4a02c860@news.povray.org...
> High!
>
> Rarius wrote:
>
>> I wouldn't bother unless you want to produce telescopic views.
>>  The human eye can only see stars down to about Mag 5.5-6.0... This means
>> the brightest 1500 stars or so.
>
> ...as an amateur astronomer (owning a Newton 4.5-incher, on parallactic
> mounting) I'm quite aware of this... but I can't rule out to generate also
> telescopic views with PoVSolar in the future!

In all the years I've been an astronomer (25+), I have never heard it called
a parallactic mount. I had to Google the term. I have always heard it
described as an Equatorial mount. I have a 10in Orion Optics newtonian
reflector myself on a large wooden fork mount.

BTW I had done some of this kind of POV work before. I have a topographic
model of Mars if you'd like it.

>> I converted the Bright Star Catalogue (BSC) into a POV include a while
>> back. I'll post it in the povray.binaries-scene-files for anyone to look
>> at.
>
> Good idea... is it in the public domain like Hipparcos?

Yes the BSC is public domain too.

Rarius