POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Amalthea, lit by Jupitershine : Re: Amalthea, lit by Jupitershine Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:21:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Amalthea, lit by Jupitershine
From: Rarius
Date: 7 May 2009 06:38:20
Message: <4a02ba1c$1@news.povray.org>

news:4a02a7aa@news.povray.org...
> High!
>
> Cousin Ricky wrote:
>
>> What are you using for the starry background?
>

> This:
>

> // (Atlas for Skywatchers) (C) 1997 Franckh-Kosmos Verlags-GmbH & Co.,
> Stuttgart, Germany

> yaz### [at] gmxde

<BIG SNIP>

> Still not perfect, as back then, I didn't know of the environment variable
> image_width...
>
> Perhaps later on, I'll program a version using the Hipparcos Catalogue
> which contains about 150,000 stars...

I wouldn't bother unless you want to produce telescopic views.  The human
eye can only see stars down to about Mag 5.5-6.0... This means the brightest
1500 stars or so. You also ought to know that the coverage of the Hipparcos
Catalogue is not balanced. Some areas show fainter stars than others.

I converted the Bright Star Catalogue (BSC) into a POV include a while back.
I'll post it in the povray.binaries-scene-files for anyone to look at.

Rarius