POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : shadows don't honor image_map alpha channel : Re: shadows don't honor image_map alpha channel Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:15:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: shadows don't honor image_map alpha channel
From: Ive
Date: 6 May 2009 08:10:20
Message: <4a017e2c$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> Ive <"ive### [at] lilysoftorg"> wrote:
>> This is really strange because my attached leave image uses the PNG
>> alpha channel in the same way you do - and I do get the shadows.
>
> It seems that the UV mapping is the key. I modified your code to use
> "uv_mapping", resulting in the same black square for a shadow:
>
>> #local T_Leaf = texture {
>>    pigment {image_map {png "AutumnLeaf1" interpolate 2} }
>>    finish {ambient 0  diffuse 1}
>> }
>
> #local T_Leaf = texture {
>    pigment { uv_mapping image_map {png "AutumnLeaf1" interpolate 2} }
>    finish {ambient 0  diffuse 1}
> }

Ahh, I remember now there was something about not putting uv_mapping
into the pigment statement (for unknown reasons, maybe a bug), that's
why I do always use it this way:

#local T_Leaf = texture {
    uv_mapping
    pigment {image_map {png "AutumnLeaf1" interpolate 2} }
    finish {ambient 0  diffuse 1}
}

Sorry it did by mistake remove the uv_mapping keyword when I did remove
the normal statement to simplify things.

-Ive