POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : What is there I do not understand about HDRI map_type 7 in MegaPOV? : Re: What is there I do not understand about HDRI map_type 7 in MegaPOV? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:23:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What is there I do not understand about HDRI map_type 7 in MegaPOV?
From: Ive
Date: 5 May 2009 09:02:27
Message: <4a0038e3$1@news.povray.org>
Bill Pragnell wrote:
> I am well aware of the difference, and that using a 'mirror ball' projection
> with map_type 7 will produce a distorted reflection. All I meant was that in my
> experience (I have used both types of projection in hdri-lit renders), it can be
> good enough (scene geometry and view permitting). Comparing the techniques will
> make the distortion obvious, and an expert may spot it immediately, but it's
> not the end of the world! :-)

;) definitely not!

I just wanted to make it clear for everybody that there is a difference
and (as Trevor also mentioned) I've seen quite some images where this
resulting distortion *was* visible and it was obviously not the
intention of the artists but lack of knowledge about those projection types.

-Ive