POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : What is there I do not understand about HDRI map_type 7 in MegaPOV? : Re: What is there I do not understand about HDRI map_type 7 in MegaPOV? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:15:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What is there I do not understand about HDRI map_type 7 in MegaPOV?
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 5 May 2009 05:43:06
Message: <4a000a2a@news.povray.org>

> HDRI_test1 uses a map generated with MegaPOV 1.2.1. From top to bottom, this
> was rendered with MegaPOV map_type 1; MegaPOV map_type 7; and finally with
> version 3.7 beta 32.
>
> HDRI_test2 uses a map from a hdri collection, and was rendered identically
> with megapov and 3.7.
>
> The scenes rendered with map_type 7 are clearly different. So, in what
> situations is this particular parameter used? The documentation is unclear
> about this.

   It all depends on the map you're using... in both of your tests, the HDRI
used seems to be equirectangular, so this is why map_type 1 works, and
map_type 7 doesn't because it was designed for another type of projection. I
don't recall how it's named, but there was a recent post by clipka
explaining just this and other interesting facts about the different
projection types used for HDRI.

--
Jaime