POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Possible bug with blobs : Re: Possible bug with blobs Server Time
19 Apr 2024 21:48:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Possible bug with blobs
From: Mike Williams
Date: 12 Jan 2002 14:42:25
Message: <4S+5rCAwEJQ8Ewfx@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Hugo who wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I hope you don't mind another blob question. I need to ask, before I can say
>it's a bug.
>
>I can provide you with a scene file that shows two spheres of the same size,
>one of them is a blob. On the left side of them, I have traced a lot of
>small blobs randomly connected with each other, to form a layer of paint or
>snow. Here the problem arises: If I add a transmit or filter value to the
>snow, there will be a lot of odd shadows (they are actually holes) on the
>blob sphere, but not on the other sphere, or on other kind of objects. It
>only happens on the blob sphere, although it's an independant object from
>the snow.

I confirm that there is a problem.

It happens in POV 3.1g, POV 3.5 beta 9 and MegaPOV.

Here's a much simpler scene with larger holes. All there is here is a
spherical blob and a transparent sphere. A hole appears in the blob when
the surface of the transparent sphere is close to the surface of the
blob, and between the camera and the blob. I've set a ridiculously high
max_trace_level just to show that it's nothing to do with a shortage of
that.

global_settings {
  max_trace_level 50
  assumed_gamma 1
  }

background {rgb z*0.3}

camera { location <0,0,-3> look_at 0 }
light_source {<-100,200,-300>, 1 }

//The Blob
blob { threshold 0.1 sphere { <0,.02,0>,1.2 ,1 }
        pigment { rgb x }
        //interior_texture{pigment {rgb y}}
}

//The invisible sphere