POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Arg!! : Re: Arg!! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:23:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Arg!!
From: andrel
Date: 28 Apr 2012 19:03:59
Message: <4F9C7784.6060304@gmail.com>
On 28-4-2012 23:12, Darren New wrote:
> On 4/28/2012 11:38, andrel wrote:
>> IIRC because programs under windows dump a lot of unnecessary data in the
>> registry, restoring from a backup will take more than a day (if it ever
>> completes, we have never waited more than a weekend)
>
> How in the world would it take more than a day?

Because you have to import it again :(

> You're just copying a file.

No, you are underestimating the geniuses in redmond.
The registry->text and text->registry conversions are slightly
unoptimized. It is probably OK on a fresh new machine, but in our
experience not so on a really well used one. The ones most likely to crash.

> Windows7 for example seems to restore files at pretty much
> disk-transfer speed. I can do an image backup of my 40G system partition
> in about 15 or 20 minutes, tops, and restore just as easily.

>> According to my brother there are backups of the registry in System
>> Volume
>> Information directory, IIRC also under a different name than the actual
>> registry files, just to make life easier.
>
> The only backup I know of is in C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack

Funny, isn't it? There is apparently another one in another directory
under another name, that nobody told you about. One that is still there
after a reinstall. Pure Genius.

--
tip: do not run in an unknown place when it is too dark to see the
floor, unless you prefer to not use uppercase.