POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Arg!! : Re: Arg!! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:32:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Arg!!
From: andrel
Date: 26 Apr 2012 04:32:17
Message: <4F990832.6080004@gmail.com>
On 26-4-2012 5:38, Darren New wrote:
> On 4/25/2012 6:51, andrel wrote:
>> There is a copy of the registry somewhere. So you can reinstall that
>> even if
>> the current one is corruct.
>
> Yep. Windows has been making a second copy of the registry on boot since
> 3.1 days (or maybe 95 days). I remember seeing someone get the message
> "your registry is corrupt. Please reboot" and having it use the backup
> copy, back before Windows had logins. :-)

You might be right (no reason to doubt that), but after a crash and a
reinstall of windows people tend to write off all programs, and will
reinstall everything from scratch. Even people that should know better.

>> At least my brother has done that for me once and apparently regularly
>> doing
>> it for other people as well.
>
> Yep. But honestly, I'm not sure what you need to rescue from the
> registry. None of your data files should be in your registry.

No, but if the programs refuse to run, you can still not access your data.

--
tip: do not run in an unknown place when it is too dark to see the
floor, unless you prefer to not use uppercase.