POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Privacy Myth : Re: Privacy Myth Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:26:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Privacy Myth
From: andrel
Date: 6 Apr 2012 08:22:58
Message: <4F7EE02D.9010502@gmail.com>
On 6-4-2012 6:52, Patrick Elliott wrote:
> On 4/5/2012 6:58 PM, Darren New wrote:
>> On 4/1/2012 8:43, Warp wrote:
>>> (it broke the 50% mark of all email traversing
>>> the internet long time ago)
>>
>> It broke the 90% mark a long time ago.
>>
>> > twharts any kind of comprehensive automatic
>>> traffic analysis of email (or at least makes it impractical and
>>> expensive).
>>
>> Classifying spam isn't difficult. It's just that ISPs don't want to
>> carry 10x as much email data as they need to, and it's hard to track
>> down the source.
>>
> They could go a long way by changing the protocol so you can't "fake"
> the source, and the tracking, with respect to how it got there, is kept,
> and correctly reported, so that, even if you changed the supposed start
> point, somehow, it would be more obvious that the source, as it
> traversed the network, wasn't the source being reported. Half the time
> email systems consider this information "inconvenient" and actually make
> it hard, or impossible, to even look at, never mind actually tell you
> that there is a discrepancy of any kind.

Often I receive mail that was not sent by the person that is in the
from: line. Many people also get mail that claims to be sent by me. I
even get myself mail sent by me often from places that I might wish to
visit, but haven't done so yet.
What I never fully understood is if this is legal or not. I know it is
easy to do, and hard to track down, but I would expect it to be illegal
anyway. Anyone here knows?

--
tip: do not run in an unknown place when it is too dark to see the
floor, unless you prefer to not use uppercase.