POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Device drivers : Re: Device drivers Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:25:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Device drivers
From: andrel
Date: 23 Feb 2012 16:36:09
Message: <4F46B14E.3020108@gmail.com>
On 22-2-2012 17:25, Warp wrote:
> Invisible<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
>> Trying to set up my printer was necessarily difficult.
>
>    What do you need a printer for?

We have been forced to think about that too in our hospital.
Today someone came and collected most of the printers in the staffrooms
and half the printers used by the entire department. Collected as in
taking without permission. He did it on orders of our board of
directors. They have made a deal with a copier manufacturer to supply
the hospital with multifunctional copier/printer/scanners*. Part of the
deal is apparently to remove all competing printers from the entire
hospital. Unless we can prove that we really really need them.

The reasoning why this 'theft' is allowed is that all (actually most)
equipment is bought via the 'buying department' (if that is the english
term) hence they are hospital property.

Note that the multifunctionals can only be reached via windows XP and
you need IE to install it, FF does not work. We have a fair amount of
Macs, Win7 and Linux machines**. I guess that is why they let us keep
the big department printer for now.

Question: what 3 letter acronym is applicable here?

*) Scanning to USB stick is supported, but does in most cases not work.
The copiers are slow as hell.

**) not many IPads or other tablets as the IT department does not think
it is useful to have wireless in a research department.

--
tip: do not run in an unknown place when it is too dark to see the
floor, unless you prefer to not use uppercase.