POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Americans really are sue-happy... : Re: Americans really are sue-happy... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:26:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Americans really are sue-happy...
From: andrel
Date: 20 Feb 2012 14:51:12
Message: <4F42A432.8080707@gmail.com>
On 20-2-2012 19:25, Darren New wrote:
> On 2/20/2012 0:09, andrel wrote:
>> In the Netherlands the heirs inherit everything a person owns
>> including his
>> debts.
>
> That sounds like an awful system. I certainly don't want to be
> responsible for the debts of whatever random person might have named me
> as an heir. I think you're likely oversimplifying, tho.

Yes I forgot to mention clearly that you can reject, but that means
everything. Easy in case of a random person, somewhat difficult for a
close relative.

>> If otoh the system works in such a way that the medical and other
>> costs must
>> come from his personal belongings, you might argue that he does not
>> need it
>> anymore anyway.
>
> It comes from his estate, which is his possessions left over after he's
> dead.
>
>> Still this wasn't a case of suicide and in the eyes of a simple
>> European not
>> even a case of negligence,
>
> Right. If you read, the court already decided it's a case of negilgence
> on the part of the dead kid, and not on the part of amtrack.

This is a case where I don't care what an USAsian judge decides. ;)
Technically he/she may decide that it is negligence, in real life it wasn't.

>> *) she might as well be hit by the remains of a deer crossing the
>> line. Oh
>> no, that wouldn't work as just bad luck. She could sue Amtrak for not
>> preventing the deer from going on the track...
>
> She tried that. And indeed, that's how the system works here. For
> unlikely stuff like this, the business is supposed to have insurance.

Here in the Netherlands it is not uncommon that the railway company or
any other large company decides to pay even if they can technically not
be blamed. Partly out of decency, partly because not doing so is bad
publicity and conversely this is cheap and good publicity.

Probably it is indicative of the moral state of the USA that Amtrak did
not do the decent thing and can get away with it. ;)

--
tip: do not run in an unknown place when it is too dark to see the
floor, unless you prefer to not use uppercase.