POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Americans really are sue-happy... : Re: Americans really are sue-happy... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:28:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Americans really are sue-happy...
From: andrel
Date: 20 Feb 2012 12:43:24
Message: <4F42863E.3020209@gmail.com>
On 20-2-2012 16:56, clipka wrote:
> Am 20.02.2012 16:35, schrieb Warp:
>> andrel<byt### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>>> In the Netherlands the heirs inherit everything a person owns including
>>> his debts.
>>
>> Imagine someone is living his life just minding his own business,
>> doing his work, paying his taxes and contributing to society as a good
>> citizen. Then some official comes to him and says "hey, your uncle,
>> which you have never even heard of, just died and you are his only
>> heir, so you inherit everything." This guy is like "cool! How much do
>> I get?" "Nothing. Your uncle had ten millions in debt, and now it's
>> yours. I'm here to collect or put you in jail if you can't pay."
>>
>> Nice.
>>
>> (And no, I don't know how it's in Finland.)
>
> In Germany, as an heir you can choose to decline the inheritance, in
> which case the other heirs get a bigger share; if there are no other
> heirs (or they decline as well), the government gets everything
> (including the debts).

Same here. I should have mentioned that. I am not sure if declining an
inheritance means that you can not even keep purely personal things like
photographs and clothes.

In a case like this you will have to wait till you know the verdict
before accepting or rejecting. I think you have half a year to decide,
but think of not being able to do anything with somebody's belongings
and then after that period opening all the boxes.

--
tip: do not run in an unknown place when it is too dark to see the
floor, unless you prefer to not use uppercase.