POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is relevant to my interests : Re: This is relevant to my interests Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:22:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is relevant to my interests
From: andrel
Date: 13 Feb 2012 15:32:09
Message: <4F397349.8040002@gmail.com>
On 13-2-2012 21:16, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> Le 13/02/2012 20:52, andrel nous fit lire :
>> he southern hemisphere ocean onto the deserts of the equator (possibly
>> mixed with a monty python intro).
>
> Equator (as a geographical location: the central belt) is not a sahara
> like desert, it's very green).

A couple of months ago I was in Arusha just over 3 degrees south of the
equator. I would not describe the scenery as very green, but definitely
no desert. But don't blame me, blame the other guy.

> The desert part are more likely to start at 20° (or 25°) from equator on
> each direction and due to the convection cells of the atmosphere (and
> it's moving with seasons, it's call The Doldrums... huge vertical winds,
> nearly none horizontal, nothing to move clouds into rain over land)
>
> BTW, there is more part of Africa (continent) in the Northern hemisphere
> than in Southern.
> (that's not the case for South America, Australia nor Antarctica)
>
> Also, at the exit of a glacial era, the weather might have been a lot
> different than the sunny desert. (for instance, London would have been
> under a lot (more!) of ice and snow by the time of the first simian
> walking on only two feet and keeping tools in the savannah of Africa)
>
> (P.S: I said Australia, I'm going to be flamed by NZ and co, as it would
> be called Oceania... guess what is the biggest island ?)

Much of that biggest island is desert. I have been in both and I prefer
the nature of NZ.

--
tip: do not run in an unknown place when it is too dark to see the
floor, unless you prefer to not use uppercase.