POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dual Server Failure : Re: Dual Server Failure Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:32:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dual Server Failure
From: andrel
Date: 23 Jan 2012 15:35:26
Message: <4F1DC491.8040100@gmail.com>
On 23-1-2012 16:43, Invisible wrote:

>>> As I say, the point is that most people will never see 50,000 computers
>>> in one place all at once.
>>
>> That isn't really necessary to be able to do the math....
>
> Sure, that's the great thing about math; it always works right, unlike
> intuition. ;-)
>
> But it's not a calculation most people would bother to make, because the
> power consumption of a PC is "negligible".
>
> In a similar vein, the heat output of a normal human in a large empty
> room is also negligible. But weirdly, if you put /a lot/ of humans in a
> room, no matter how big that room is, they manage to raise the
> temperature of the whole room. Unexpected, but true...

<boggle indeed>

I think the rule of thumb is that a person is about 100W. but any amount
of power will heat any room even if only slighly unless:

a) the room is infinite in size
b) the room was warmer than a person to begin with (i.e. warmer than a
person that is not cooled by outside temperatures)

--
tip: do not run in an unknown place when it is too dark to see the
floor, unless you prefer to not use uppercase.